Anglicans have been in Pender Harbour for over a century. We're thankful to be reaching our community today.
People come from Egmont to Sechelt, Halfmoon Bay to Kleindale, Garden Bay and Madeira Park. Sunday mornings are a joyful time of worship and fellowship, preaching and communion. We have Baptists, Lutherans, Non-Denominational, and yes, some Anglicans as well! We are glad to be part of the Anglican Network in Canada and the Anglican Church in North America.
The Anglican presence in Pender Harbour began via mission boats in the 1900s with Rev. John Antle and the Columbia Coast Mission. Under Antle’s leadership, then Canon Alan Greene, St. Mary’s Hospital was built in Garden Bay. In 1939 they added a chapel and held services there until the hospital closed in 1964.
In 1978, St. Andrew's Anglican Church was built at the corner of Hwy 101 and Front Road in Madeira Park, where it still stands today. St. Andrew’s remained a two-point parish with St. Hilda’s Anglican in Sechelt (first under Rev. John Paetkau, then Rev. June Maffin) until 1992, when Rev. Dan Gifford became the exclusive minister for St. Andrew's.
Under Rev. Barclay Mayo's leadership, Christ the Redeemer was formed in 2004. Our present building was purchased in Campbell River, barged to Pender Harbour in 2006, and dedicated in March 2007. Following Rev. Jen Morgan, Rev. Kyle MacKenney became our sixth rector in November 2017.